Sulphur tuft

The sulphur tuft mushroom clump, which is growing on a cut down sycamore tree by the path in the woodland garden mushroom is poisonous, so don't be tempted to touch, let alone eat! It contains poisons that can cause liver damage, symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and emesis. The clump is decaying a bit and the first frosts will see it off.

Sulphur Tuft is a pale to bright sulphur yellow mushroom with a orange to brown coloured tip and it grows in groups or "tufts" on rotting wood in forests and woodlands to a height of about 18cm (7in) and 3-6cm (1.2-2.3in). A very common mushroom in most temperate forest regions. Its spores are a purple-brown colour, gills greenish when immature, they smell a bit like iodine.

Last Updated: 1st-Jan-2007 16:12 Print
 Subscribe to newsletter